Zack Snyder’s reason to use “v” in “Batman v Superman” is dumb

So we all know that the upcoming Zack Snyder follow up to Man of Steel, “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” has the most awkward title for a superhero film ever. His use of the legal “v” instead of the traditional “vs.” abbreviation for “versus” has been the subject of a lot of ridicule. Now you maybe asking yourself “Maybe Snyder has a good reason for this odd choice?”

Well you’re both right and wrong. Because Zack Snyder sure thinks he does.

But he doesn’t.

Snyder talked to USA Today, and attempted to explain:

The director can’t say exactly how the relationship between the two superheroes evolves, “but suffice it to say there is a ‘v’ in between their names” in the movie title, Snyder says. He explains that having the “v” instead of “vs.” is a way “to keep it from being a straight ‘versus’ movie, even in the most subtle way.”

This, of course, is stupid. Either abbreviation means “versus,” so no matter what the title still implies a straight versus moving. Snyders attempt to differentiate it as such makes me question his intelligence.

And that makes me question his ability to direct ANY film, let alone another one in the DC Carnival of Sadness.

Just kidding. I was questioning that a long time ago.

Like when Suckerpunch came out.

via USA Today

Trae Dorn

Trae Dorn has been staffing conventions for over twenty years, and is a co-founder of Wisconsin’s longest running Anime convention No Brand Con. Trae also wrote and drew the now completed webcomic UnCONventional, and produces the podcasts BS-Free Witchcraft, On This Day With Trae, Stormwood & Associates, and The Nerd & Tie Podcast. This leads many to ask when the hell they have time to actually do anything anymore. Trae says they have the time because they “do it all quite poorly.”

11 thoughts on “Zack Snyder’s reason to use “v” in “Batman v Superman” is dumb

• July 3, 2014 at 6:08 pm

You’re a fucking idiot just shut the fuck up.

• July 3, 2014 at 6:54 pm

You are a sad, sad man. Do you seriously just go around searching out people who say negative thing about Man of Steel and swear at them? How empty is your life.

We need to find you a friend. Hey everybody! We need to find Damien a friend! Who wants to be Damien’s friend? Don’t worry Damien, we will find you someone. Don’t lose hope.

• July 3, 2014 at 6:57 pm

You’re a dumbass who can’t take a moment to actually think. The v is meant to be used as a sort of court case, as in batman is putting Superman on trial for what happened in metropolis. It’s the people v superman in the film basically. The antagonist are the ones like batman and lex luthor who blame superman for what happened in metropolis. Hows about you do some actual research and keep up with what is happening in the film before you make yourself look like an idiot.

• July 3, 2014 at 7:07 pm

It’s okay, one day someone will love you. Please, please someone love Damien!

• July 3, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Lol this pathetic bitch is still talking.

• July 3, 2014 at 7:09 pm

SOMEONE PLEASE HUG DAMIEN. (Also, a story where a violent vigilante puts someone on “trial” ESPECIALLY doesn’t work with a legal “versus”)

• July 3, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I have a feeling that the V is suppose to actually represent the number 5 and represent the other members of the Justice League (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Cyborg and The Flash).

Which is incredibly dumb and I approve of it if that is the case.

• July 3, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I will say, if that were the actual reason I would be really impressed and happy at the same time. It would still be stupid, but I would love it.

• July 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I need to say I doubt they would have that much foresight and it is mostly wrong, but I hope I am right.

• July 3, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Dollars to donuts this was a marketing decision. I bet if we looked at early scripts we’d see “vs.” But the more simplistic and elegant “v” just looks better on a poster, and I bet that’s what the higher ups at Warners said.

• July 4, 2014 at 9:13 am

That would make the most sense I suppose. Or (“conspiracy” time): “v” is half a “w” which could imply that the role Wonder Woman plays is so minimal that DC wanted the film to feature her, then wrote her out as to maintain the DC Carnival of Sadness! Chemtrails man!