Washington’s Aki Con seems to be determined to keep screwing something major up every year. We talked about their history on the podcast last year, but to sum it up:
- In 2012 they put their Artists and Vendors in a leaking, freezing garage.
- In 2013 they invited a convicted sex offender as a guest, who then drugged and sexually assaulted another guest… and then Aki Con staff blamed the victim.
So, yeah – they have a history. It may come as a relief to hear that this year all they’re doing wrong (so far) is mostly just being bad at their jobs.
Tumblr user MysticMagix has posted an extensive write up about their experiences trying to register for Aki Con’s artist alley, and it’s been a cluster f*** of incompetence on the part of Aki Con staff. You can read the full write up here, but the highlights include:
- Contradictory instructions
- Lack of any email responses
- Taking the artist’s money while still rejecting the table
And my favorite…
- They were sent a copy of artist Sammy Ng’s contract, including all of Ng’s personal information
That’s right – Aki Con sent artist Sammy Ng’s personal information to MysticMagix for no discernible reason beyond straight incompetence.
Aki Con seems determined to get things wrong before the event even happens this year.