When the FXX series Cassius and Clay was announced last summer, we were pretty intrigued. The animation team behind Archer was going to make a post-apocalyptic Mad Max-esque story with a cast that featured talents like Kaitlin Olson, Lake Bell and Susan Freakin’ Sarandon. With Adam Reed and Megan Ganz driving the creative side of the project, it looked like it would be amazing. Well, now it looks like it’s going to be nothing.
Despite FXX originally putting in a ten episode order, Cassius and Clay has been cancelled before it could ever air.
This is, honestly, kind of infuriating. It would have been nice to see a women-led action comedy on television, and the show appeared to have the talent behind it to pull it off. No episodes have been produced beyond the pilot, although it’s unlikely we’ll ever see what that actually looked like (unless maybe some season of Archer manages to sneak it in as a DVD extra). It’s spot in the lineup will apparently now go to a as of yet untitled Louis CK led project instead.
According to ComingSoon.net, Adam Reed (Archer) and Megan Ganz (Modern Family, Community) are bringing us Cassius and Clay, an animated post-Apocalyptic comedy. The series will air on FXX, alongside Archer (which is moving to the network for its seventh season).
The cast for the show is actually pretty impressive too:
- Cassius Cordwood (Kaitlin Olson): A hard-drinking, quick-thinking, fast-talking bull-shitter who has more debts than sense.
- Shopcarter Clay (Lake Bell): The fastest gun in the post-apocalyptic South — she doesn’t go looking for trouble, she shares a station wagon with it.
- Connie Mack (Susan Sarandon): The ruthless and cutthroat owner of Wilke’s only saloon and brothel. Mack runs the booze, the girls, the whole goddamn town, really.
- Doc Benz (JB Smoove): The town’s only doctor, locked in a dysfunctional, co-dependent relationship with Smiffy (who carts the Doc’s ornery, legless ass around).
- Smiffy (Kevin Michael Richardson): The enormous blacksmith, a gentle giant who can fix anything so long as Doc says it’s okay.
- Mayor Waitstill Weeks (Jeffrey Tambor): The utterly powerless and disregarded mayor of Wilke, who’s barely in charge of his own newspaper, which only he reads.
- Jack Ruby (Katy Mixon): Head-whore of The Snug, Connie Mack’s number two and the Mayor’s number one.
- Reever Grint (Robert Patrick): The terrifying tax-collector from Richway, the crookedest of all the crooked sheriffs.
- Odum (Stephen Root): The ever-scheming deputy who’s always under Grint’s bootheel, which is really the best place for such a greasy lickspittle.
Cassius and Clay is expected to premiere in 2016.