Tag Archives: Disney

Harrison Ford Will Star in Fifth ‘Indiana Jones’ Movie, Release Date Set

Almost a year ago we talked about how Lucasfilm was contemplating a fifth Indiana Jones film. We knew literally nothing about it though, and words and phrases like “prequel” and “recasting Dr. Jones” got tossed around in the wild hypotheses of the Internet’s back hallways.

Well, it’s 2016 and concrete information is now available.

It turns out, it’s not a prequel — and the septuagenarian Harrison Ford will return to don the brown fedora and whip yet again. Steven Spielberg will direct, and the as-of-yet untitled sequel has a release date too: July 19, 2019.

I’m excited, but as I’ve said before I’m one of the few people who actually enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It’s not as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark or Last Crusade, but it’s a hell of a lot better than Temple of Doom. Temple of Doom is literally one of my least favorite movies ever. I also really enjoyed cranky-old Harrison Ford in The Force Awakens, so there’s that too.

But I have a feeling I’m going to be in the minority on this one…

Via THR

Reminder: That Whitewashed ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Movie is Still Happening

Guys, I know that we haven’t talked about for a while, but that terrible live action remake of the very Japanese Ghost in the Shell starring a bunch of white people is still happening. I know we all tried to forget about it, but it’s still going forward.

The latest news on this atrocity is that the Scarlett Johansson led film is moving studios — from Disney to Paramount.

I don’t know the film industry well enough to know whether this is good or bad for the film, but I know it is a thing that has happened. I hope it’s a bad thing, because as much as I love Scarlett Johansson, she should not be playing the Major.

Right now Ghost in the Shell is scheduled to come out March 31, 2017.

Let’s hope it doesn’t.

Via Variety

Star Wars Episode VIII Pushed Back to December 2017

As The Force Awakens is currently killing it at the box office, most of us are pretty excited for 2017’s as-of-yet-untitle eighth episode in the Saga. I mean, sure, 2016 will give us the first spinoff film (Rogue One), but we all know it’s not the same. For the longest time Episode VIII has had a May 2017 release date, but not so much anymore.

In the wake of script rewrites for the film, we now know the Rian Johnson written and directed installment is being pushed back to December 15th, 2017.

Frankly, besides giving the film more time for production, this also makes sense from a market standpoint. Rogue One would have only come out six months prior with the original release date, and with less than a year between Star Wars films the impact might have been reduced. There is also frankly a lot less competition in the theaters with a winter release date, which should also help the film. Personally, I’m still excited.

Even if I have to wait longer.

Via Screenrant

The Incredibles 2 Scheduled For a 2019 Release

You know, there are people out there who say you can’t make a great Fantastic Four film, and I always end up confused. The reason why is pretty simple — we already got a phenomenal Fantastic Four movie over a decade ago.

I speak, of course, about Pixar’s The Incredibles.

For the longest time, we’ve been waiting for a sequel to arguably one of the best superhero films ever made. The Incredibles 2 has been in development for a while, but director Brad Bird had been pretty busy with movies like Tomorrowland and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Bird has more recently stated that he’s working on the script for the next Incredibles installment, and has said it’s his next film.

Well, yesterday we finally got some more news on the project. On the upside, we now know approximately when the film come out — the downside is that we’ll be waiting for a while. In fact, you’ll be waiting until 2019.

Considering Pixar can only make so many films at a time, and in that same news we found out Toy Story 4 was getting moved from 2017 to 2018, it shouldn’t be too much of a shock that The Incredibles 2 would end up so much further back on the schedule. I think it’ll be worth the wait though.

Because c’mon — it’s The Incredibles.

Via Variety

Episode 55 – Rush Job

On this fortnight’s Nerd & Tie, we mourn Wes Craven’s passing, we’re launching an Indiegogo campaign Tuesday for the Nerd & Tie Expo, Star Trek: Renegades is terrible, Marvel and Disney are reorganizing Marvel Studios, ditching Creative Committee, a mass shooting was averted at the Pokemon World Championship, Wizard World loses money for the second quarter in a row, and TCE2 is having financial issues too.

We packed a lot into this hour.

Important Links:

Video Version:

Audio Version:

Marvel Studios Creative Committee No Longer a Thing

The news came down the other day that Kevin Feige would begin to report directly to Disney, and that Marvel Studios would no longer need the direct approval of Marvel Comics. Well, it’s now been confirmed that the Marvel Studios Creative Committee has been dissolved, and that Feige has direct creative control of the cinema behemoth.

The committee included Alan Fine (President of Marvel Entertainment), Joe Quesada (Marvel Chief Creative Officer/Jerk who broke up Peter Parker and MJ), Dan Buckley (Marvel Comics publisher), and Brian Michael Bendis (comics god). Whether this change is a good thing or a bad thing depends on whether or not you completely trust Feige to run things unchecked.

On the one hand, he’s been the leading voice shepherding what is effectively one of the biggest franchises in the world. On the other hand, maybe the committee had prevented him from making disastrous mistakes we’ve never ended up hearing about.

Only time (and box office results) will tell.

Via Screenrant

Episode 49 – Starting a Gen

On this fortnight’s excursion into the world of Geek, Gen Prock is sitting in for Nick (as his Skype just absolutely refused to connect tonight). We discuss the cancellation of Tron 3, the announcement of Fallout 4, the possible remakes of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Big Trouble in Little China, as well as Guardians of the Galaxy 2 getting a script.

We also discuss the “Women in Comics” panel calamity at Denver Comic Con and the overwhelming harassment issues at MomoCon.

Which are, y’know, not good things.

Links:

Video Version:

Audio Version:

Tron 3 Officially Cancelled By Disney

The last we heard about Tron 3 (working title Tron: Ascension) was that it was going to begin production in the fall. As one of the people who actually thoroughly enjoyed Tron: Legacy, I was pretty hyped about it.

Unfortunately for those of us who were looking forward to it, Disney has decided to scrap the film.

The prevailing theory is that the film was cancelled because Tomorrowland has done poorly in theaters, and Tron: Legacy didn’t generate a lot of merchandise sales. Disney apparently wants to go the well of recycling its animated library into live action instead, as it apparently is more profitable.

Which makes sense from a business perspective I guess, but deeply saddens me as a Tron fan who had been hoping for the series to continue.

Via THR

We Have (Most of) The Animated ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Cast

It’s been a while since they first announced the Animated Guardians of the Galaxy series, but things have been slowly coming together. Back at NYCC we got to see some test footage, and now we finally know who will be voicing our heroes.

Well, everyone except Gamora. So it’s like we know who’s voicing everyone that Marvel will bother putting on the lunchbox.

…are lunchboxes still a thing? I don’t have kids.

Anyway — here’s who’s playing who:

  • Peter Quill: Will Friedle
  • Drax: David Sobolov
  • Rocket: Trevor Devall
  • Groot: Kevin Michael Richardson

Some of these actors have played the characters in other adaptations, so it’s not really full of surprises. The series should premiere on Disney XD later this year.

Via Screenrant

Marvel and the Jack Kirby Estate Have Come to Terms

This last Friday,  the family of Comic Book Legend Jack Kirby and Marvel Comic released a joint statement saying that they “have amicably resolved their legal disputes, and are looking forward to advancing their shared goal of honoring Mr. Kirby’s significant role in Marvel’s history.”

The Kirby family have been in an almost constant legal battle with Marvel for copyright ownership of the countless characters Kirby created during his career at Marvel.  But that should finally be over.

Sadly, the legal issues related to the Kirbys’ copyright claims wont be explored by the courts and we will probably never actually know the details of the deal, but if nothing else, its a major win for comic creators’ families.

Via: Comic Book Resources