Columbus, OH based convention Anime Punch has been disbanded and will no longer hold any more events. The convention staff announced that they would be ceasing all future operations on in a statement on their official Facebook page on September 14th:

This is in the wake of convention chair Michael Beuerlein pleading guilty to Sexual Battery in the state of Virgina on September 5th. A misdemeanor, Beuerlein is currently currently out on parole. He has also been required to register as a sex offender.

It’s always terrifying to find out someone like this is running around the con scene. For what it’s worth, not many seem surprised about Beuerlein, as at least this rather lengthy Facebook thread seems to detail a number of other alleged incidents involving Beuerlein. Whether those other allegations are true or not, he sure seems like a person you wouldn’t want to let into your con, let alone operate an event

Trae Dorn

Trae Dorn has been staffing conventions for over twenty years, and is a co-founder of Wisconsin’s longest running Anime convention No Brand Con. Trae also writes and draws the webcomics UnCONventional and The Chronicles of Crosarth, which leads many to ask when the hell they have time to actually do anything anymore. Trae says they have the time because they “do it all quite poorly.”

14 thoughts on “Anime Punch Disbands After Con Chair Michael Beuerlein Pleads Guilty to Sexual Battery

• September 19, 2017 at 4:08 pm

I’m glad to see justice served. Finally!

• September 19, 2017 at 4:19 pm

I still find it amazing that a prominent VA and guest at many of these conventions has been accused, multiple times, of possible sex crimes, but people excuse it because …. ?

Hell, the guy likes to have sex with female con-goers dressed up as his charachters.

• September 19, 2017 at 4:46 pm

I’m not sure who you’re talking about off the top of my head, but in any case the reason is simple — we need people willing to press charges and go on the record.

The problem is the system is so stacked against victims that many (quite understandably) won’t.

• September 19, 2017 at 11:18 pm

This is true. I have been told, by trusted people, that the women were poo pooed into not saying anything.

I wanted nothing to do with him after, and thankfully, was out of the con circuit for good a few years later. I only see news like this shared by friends, and felt the need to comment.

Creepy conchairman a sex offender? W will re-org with a new name and most of the same people. Cute and semi-talented actor takes advantage of overly drunk / high women and other questionable situations? Nah, he’s ______.

• September 19, 2017 at 7:00 pm

At a minimum we try not to invite anyone with swirling allegations since I have an inkling who you’re talking about.

• September 19, 2017 at 6:55 pm

That’s what you get for assaulting a minor! They should have cut it off
    … 😤

• Pingback: Pixel Scroll 9/19/17 These Are A Few Of My Favorite Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast | File 770

• Pingback: Ohio con shut down after chairman found guilty of sexual assault – a very unhappy weeaboo

• September 20, 2017 at 1:10 am

The man was known as Pedo Mike for a reason. I called him that to his face once and he got upset, but I’m not in his circle of friends and I’m old and fat so he couldn’t do much to me.

• September 20, 2017 at 12:12 pm

And nothing of value was lost.

• Pingback: Anime Punch Executive Michael Beuerlein Convicted of Sexual Battery, Convention Ceases Operations – Otaku-Streamers Blog

• September 28, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Said actor is likely the dubbed Edward Elric (the Funi dub since there was also a SE Asian English dub of FMA). While sex crime allegations of con guests are common, actual evidence (like a video recording of said act) are much less common.